.

The means ARE the ends

Friday, December 03, 2004

Trying to find hope

I've deliberately refrained from spending much time following the details of the voting irregularities & recounts & such. I realize that, as an activist, that's like saying I bought a Land Rover and then used it to tow my 60 ft yacht to the river where I dumped gallons of used car oil into the water and then caught a bunch of dolphins for dinner. I know, I've shirked my responsibility to wind my guts in a knot, give myself an ulcer, and generally stay as surly and unpleasant as possible.

I've stayed away so that I wouldn't lose hope; I want to believe that our country's political systems (local, state, and federal) have some shred of decency and/or ethics left. But it's well-nigh impossible to believe considering all the information that's streaming out (except in mainstream media, of course). You'd think more people in America would wake up, especially after all the protests in the Ukraine. 200,000 people in the streets protesting an election they felt was unfair. What happened in America? Some people were in the streets (I was there for a short while) but not even close to the percentage that were in Ukraine.

Why not? Do we honestly believe that our system is fair and that there's no way foul play happened? Why are people so quick to write off the ongoing efforts to force recounts and address irregularities? Eh, Americans probably just want to not be bothered. They don't want their lives to be interrupted or to actually have to do anything. Shut up ya'll, The Apprentice is on.

Speaking my peace @ 3:58 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |