.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, December 02, 2004

At a loss

Before I moved to Portland, I was living in Charlotte, NC. Part of the fabulous moving experience was selling a bunch of my stuff. Since Charlotte's version of Craigslist is so pathetic, I had to try and sell my dining room table & chairs on my own. I wasn't successful so I ended up taking the set to a reseller's. They have been extremely unethical and are some of the worst people I've ever done business with. Here's their information:

The Resettlers Market Place
(704) 372-2917
1331 Central Ave, Charlotte, NC 28205

Stay away from these people. I dropped my furniture off in Feb, 2004. I didn't hear anything from them for several months so I called in on August 23, 2004. I was told my furniture sold June 10 for $333.75. Of that amount, I was to receive $201.45. The transaction number for the sale was 649515. I spoke with Lynne Adams, the owner of the company. He also told me that, as they only write checks once a quarter, I wouldn't be getting my money until the middle or end of September. I now realize this was a stall tactic but I didn't question him then.

On October 5, 2004, I called to find out where my check was. Lynne wasn't there and didn't return my phone call. I called again on 10/11, 10/12, & 10/14. He called me once and left a message saying who he was but didn't say anything about when my check was coming or if he'd even written it yet. Obviously, he wasn't there any time I called and didn't return any of the other calls.

On October 20, 2004, I called again and spoke to David, the man I spoke with when I dropped off my furniture. David told me that Resettler's was having big business problems, a.k.a. cashflow issues, and that I might get part, or all, of my money by the end of November. He went on to say that it takes new businesses a while to get up & running, etc., he was really sorry, he'd advocate for me, etc.

Well, here it is, December 2nd and still no check. I KNOW the only reason I'm not getting my money is because I'm not there - in front of their faces - to demand it. However, I'm feeling better now because I've spoken with Legal Services here at PSU and they're going to take some legal action for me. I've got plenty of documentation (including the contract) so, hopefully, there will be little trouble and, perhaps, some money soon. $200 may not seem like much but when you're living on a pretty limited budget, it's bills & food for the month.

Speaking my peace @ 8:06 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |