.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, July 25, 2005

Brief comment on Roberts

The more I hear about Roberts, the worse I feel about his nomination and the more scared I am about his almost-certain approval. I have tried to believe that there isn't a "grand plan" to keep oppressing women but I think the reality is that there is something going on. Why else the constant and unrelenting attack on reproductive rights? Why has Roe v Wade seemingly become so fragile when there are so many other, more urgent issues that need to be addressed? Why this ongoing assault on the lives and decisions of women.

And there's no way this can be mistaken as a non-gender issue. This is so obviously directed at women who are able to bear children - directed at gaining control of women's bodies and decisions. I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a public push towards banning birth control also. I know there are some backdoor efforts going on (pharmacists deciding not to dispense bc, drs unable to talk about abortion, etc) but I'd think this administration would be proud to flaunt its attempts to push women back to being pregnant and in the kitchen.

Is it even possible to describe the rage and pain this causes? I don't want to believe that men have such oppressive and patriarchal views towards women. I want to believe that they don't understand what they're doing or that they have some motive that they think is good. I'm not sure I could handle my feelings if the last shreds of the "ignorance" or "misguided motives" belief blow away.

Lest I be called to task for not also calling women on their sorry part in these manueverings, I should say that I realize there are women who support the end of Roe v Wade also. All I can say about them is that they truly are ignorant. Do they think they'll be given a "get out of jail free" card if they need access to reproductive rights?

I would also guess that both the men and women who are supporting the end of my rights to reproduction are mid-upper class white people - people who have the luxury of standing around and talking about why birth control and abortions are so terrible. People who (maybe) have never had to make the decision between feeding one child or another. Women who have never had to face having their 9th child just 10 months after their 8th was born. Women who have never had to make a decision to keep (or not) a child that is a product of violence.

What are they thinking? If you don't want to have an abortion - fine, don't. If you don't want to use birth control, find - don't (men don't anyway although I have no idea why a bc pill for men hasn't been created yet). But what the FUCK gives you the right to say that I can't?

Speaking my peace @ 11:54 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |