.

The means ARE the ends

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I thought I'd left it all behind

So those of you who know me know that I moved out here from North Carolina. Spent several years in both small towns and in a fairly rural area of the state. I worked in construction for a while (office stuff) and have spent a good bit of time around construction workers & (big generalization here) others of that "type."

I like working in the construction industry (sort of) largely because I know how things work. I know how to talk to the different kinds of people and sort of how to navigate the hierarchy and politics. It's familiar and comfortable, although not terribly fulfilling or meaningful. So why am I writing this post? Because there's one aspect of construction that I still find disgusting. This may come as a surprise because I ws with my ex for *many* years and, except around the last three years, this was his vice the whole time.

He dipped. Yes - tobacco product in the mouth, spitting juice out every so often. Extremely gross but I got used to it because he was fairly circumspect around me. Well, except for all the bottles and cans he'd forget and leave in the truck to "ripen" in the NC sun. Those were NASTY. So why am I rehashing all this?

Because I'm doing temp work with some local construction guys and guess what? You got it, I'm hearing that familiar spitting sound (spwewt) and smelling that wintergreen fresh 'baccy smell.

ew.

Speaking my peace @ 3:34 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |