.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, August 30, 2004

I told a small lie

Okay - I may have told a teensy little lie when I said I was (or would) making a deliberate attempt to stay away from the RNC coverage. It wasn't my fault, though, it was Mother Jones! I was just perusing the email update and ran across this short article about the people on the street NYC.

I'm not going to rant about Bush supporters being wrong, what I am flabbergasted by is how totally opposite their views appear to be. I mean, it makes me wonder if we're living in the same country. In the article I mentioned, one of the Rep activists interviewed talks about 'liberal media' and about the hatred demonstrated by liberals - how their words give aid and comfort to the enemy. This one activist also mentions several different 'groups' (communists, homosexuals, feminazis, etc) that he thinks are there and then says they're probably all unemployable.

This is what I don't get. I get that there are multiple aspects of truth with regard to any issue. I get that everyone has their own opinion and the right to express it. I get that their viewpoint is different than mine. What I don't get is how we come up with such absolutely opposing notions about the same events/issues.

Each side says the other spews hatred and lies. Each side says the media is on the side of the other. Each side claims that the other is against life/America/puppies & kittens/etc. Where the hell is the truth and/or middle ground? I don't know if they don't exist or if the media doesn't talk to them because they're not incendiary enough. Maybe we should coin a new label for the media - something that screams out how their just out for themselves and fuck trying to facilitate any sort of reasonable and productive discussion in this country. How does 'grabocrats' sound? Or, maybe, 'destructovists'?

I just don't get it. Has it always been like this and I just never noticed?

Speaking my peace @ 6:01 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |