.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, August 30, 2004

Deliberate attempt

For the record, I'm deliberately staying away from the RNC. I took about two minutes yesterday to look at the scheduled speakers and see if there are going to be bloggers. The speaker lineup was surprisingly thin and yes, there are going to be bloggers. I *may* watch Guiliani and McCain tonight but I'm not sure. I know they're the only two I'm even remotely interested in.

The main reason I'm staying away is that I don't want to add to all the enormous amounts of negative energy already present. It's so strong and so pervasive that I don't think I could stay positive even if I wanted to. I'm very concerned that slanted media coverage could seriously hurt Kerry's campaign - even if the protesters are doing nothing illegal or violent.

Protest coverage at the DNC was pretty much nil. If the coverage protest here is extensive and includes lots of fringe elements, I'm afraid that those fringes will be portrayed as representative of the Dems and that the Reps will come off looking like angels i.e. they were courteous and polite protestors while the Dems were absolute lunatics who can't be trusted to protest, let alone run the country.

Don't laugh and call me paranoid - it's something that could happen. It's all about how the media covers/presents the story and we all know who's been beating their drum for the past four years.

So I'm covering my eyes and eating cookies until it's over.

Speaking my peace @ 8:17 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |