.

The means ARE the ends

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Watching Britney

I'm working on writing my gazillion papers that are due this week but have also been watching the E! special on Britney Spears. There are some things that I like about her and some things I don't. Even though she perpetuates LOTS of stereotypes about women - including women using their sexuality as a tool/weapon to get ahead and the idea that physical beauty is of utmost importance, she also demonstrates that women can get ahead.

One of the reasons I don't harp so much on her using her sexuality is that she was only 15/16 when her career really began. She has evolved into a more sexual female but I do think it was the combination of talent and attractiveness that got her started.

That said - she could seriously get her shit together and demonstrate that women can do more than occasionally throw money at charities and shop till they drop. She's so high profile that if she began promoting community service and education as important, much of young America would listen. Come on Britney, where's the solid stuff???

Speaking my peace @ 3:53 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |