.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, July 19, 2004

This evening's thoughts, part 1

I'm torturing myself by watching Schindler's List.  I know I'll be crying before too long, so I'm writing before the weeping begins.
 
On a completely different note, I had a bit of frustrating experience today.  I spoke to my third master's program advisor and came up against a bit of a wall.  (Thanks to jneal for helping me figure out the problem)  The wall is simply that it's difficult for me to articulate exactly why I've selected the classes I've decided on for my coursework.  The problem is that I'm designing my own curriculum and I don't have a detailed, concise idea of what all my work is going to lead into - jobwise, that is.
 
Because I'm following my heart and I don't have the particulars laid out, it's a little difficult to give solid reasons why I picked one class over another.  Also, I need to know what they're going to be looking for when it comes time for the written/oral exam.  Since I'm not going to write a thesis or create a project, I'm kind of at their mercy with regard to the final 'test' hurdle. 
 
jneal suggested that I simply tell them that I'm not exactly sure what the end result is going to look like for me personally but that I can work (to a certain extent) from what they'll expect me to know for the final testing.  That's a start, at least.  Hopefully they can work with me from there. 
 
In all, this is proving to be more fun that I could have ever imagined.  Following my instincts and selecting classes that 'feel' right is amazing.  I can't even begin to explain how much has opened up for me in the last month.  I can only imagine how much better it will get as time goes on.  The universe is truly magnificent :)

Speaking my peace @ 8:14 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |