.

The means ARE the ends

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Where's the press?

So where the hell is the press? I thought there was a big moral journalistic crisis going on and all the 'big' media were swearing they'd do better. No one, NO ONE should be shocked to hear this man's story. After Abu Grhaib, no one should be shocked if stories like this come out of American prisons.

Although I know I didn't personally have anything to do with such corruption, horror, degradation, and inhumane activity, I feel responsible. The people who did these things are Americans, my taxes pay their salaries and the American government oversees them as it does me. I am ashamed to be an American and horrified at the atrocities that have been committed in my name.

I never wanted the war, I protested it and I've protested the way we've handled all our foreign affairs since 9/11. I feel that my voice hasn't been heard and that I now share the responsibility for all the grief and suffering that have resulted from this administration's decisions. I don't know what to do. Saying "I'm sorry" is so lame and useless. I cannot make amends to all those who have suffered, none of us can. "With great power comes great responsibility."

I feel so betrayed and used by our government. I thought it before but I feel it now - that they have taken the power we entrusted them with and abused it the most descpicable ways possible. They've betrayed the idea I had about America - that we were good and stood for something important. I realize the rest of the world has probably known this for a long time but there's always been a part of me that wanted to believe that America is truly a great country. I believed that we were different, that we had a better start and better foundations.

It hurts to have that belief shattered. It hurts to look around and see what's being done in the name of Americans. Things that most people would NEVER condone in a million years. Bush and his cohorts haven't only betrayed what little trust the rest of the world had in us, they've betrayed the American people. They've taken the belief we had in our goodness and our strength and blasted it to pieces. I can't blame only the Bushies, they're just the most recent, most obvious & blatant example of what we've allowed to happen.

The hardest thing to do is admit that this is partly my fault, but it is. It's the responsiblity of every American and we should never forget that.

Speaking my peace @ 8:11 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |