.

The means ARE the ends

Friday, June 11, 2004

Communities

I love this idea but I'm afraid that huge portions of the population will be left out. Community is SO important and the Internet is a wonderful tool for building community but there are SO many people who not only don't have access but who don't even understand how it could help them.

Technology is great but we quickly forget that there are enormous numbers of people who either can't afford or don't understand its uses and benefits. When people are busy trying to put food on the table, keep a roof over their head, and keep their children in clothing they don't have much time to spend learning about new technology.

In reading through the article I referenced earlier, I realize that the research noted in the article is geared almost entirely to the academic world.

My idea of building community focuses on a much broader level. I think about our nation and how there is so much wealth and so much poverty co-existing but not living together. I think about the vast differences that separate so many people and how the efforts to bring them together seem so small. Effective in many ways, but still so little against the enormity of the struggle.

There is a lot of struggle and confusion about how to best incorporate technology into our lives and make it beneficial for all. I don't profess to have any solutions or even to an accurate description of the problem. There's quite a bit of discussion around how Internet technologies can be best used in undeveloped countries and such - my suggestion is that we funnel the money, time, and energy into helping people find sustainable ways of living instead of worrying about their internet access.

Speaking my peace @ 9:18 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |