.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Religious goodies

I don't know much about Mormons, even though I worked for an ex-Mormon bishop and lived next door to a (large) Mormon family for several years. I never really thought of any of my friends or boss as 'Mormon', even though I knew that was their religion. however, I did once hear that Mormons, as a religious observance, wear a special type of undergarment. I wondered how they'd fit underneath clothing.

Isn't it funny how we have a tendency to label people like that? For some reason, we tend to pick out some defining characteristic (usually religion, ethnicity, political affiliation) and associate that label with the person.

A Jewish co-worker
My Muslim neighbor
An African preacher
That Republican baseball coach
Your child's Democratic fifth grade teacher
and so on.

Maybe we should look at more creative ways of labeling people such as:

Those Two-Armed circus freaks
My Car Driving best friend
A Skin Covered piano player
The Blood Filled tennis pro
Some Oxygen Breathing construction workers

I like it.

Speaking my peace @ 5:41 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |