.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, June 07, 2004

Nervous nellie

I've started prepping for my first "Bellydance for Self-Esteem" workshop and I'm a bit nervous. I have only been a student/dancer for a short while, don't know *lots* of techniques, and am barely able to work up even the most simple choreography. I am convinced that this is absolutely something I can do but my brain keeps jumping in and saying things like "But you can't do this move" or "You've never choregraphed" or "You're not a professional dancer, haven't even been dancing that long" and so on.

Those things are all true. But I've been a woman all my life and I am exquisitely familiar woith feeling nothing but negativity towards my body. I've struggled with my feelings about my physical appearance for a long, long time and that alone gives me ground to stand on. I feel that I'm finally coming through my lifelong struggle with self-esteem, or the lack of, and that there might be some of what I've learned that could help someone else.

If not, then they'll learn how to do a couple of moves, hear some good music, and hang out with some other fabulous women for an hour or so. I emailed my dance teacher and she told me this: "...Your spirit knows that when you move from her place, you simply can't go "wrong", no matter what you do or do not do..." That's why I love her so much - she is the kind of teacher I am working on becoming - who supports the work itself, and doesn't focus on a specific end result. Thank you, Fariba.

Speaking my peace @ 10:03 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |