.

The means ARE the ends

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Lying by implying

What bothers me about this article is that I believe the Bush administration lied mainly by implying and suggesting that there were connections that didn't exist. I don't remember their exact words & such, but I do know that people don't always listen closely, especially if they're listening from a carefully cultivated culture of fear.

As I said, I don't know the exact words that were used but I know what the message was - implicit or explicit. Although it's true that people should bear a certain amount of responsibility for thinking about what they're hearing (especially when it comes to war), they should also be able to trust their leaders. People trusted Bush and he took advantage of that trust. Splitting hairs and examining the exact words that were or weren't said is too little, too late. Too bad this kind of close examination wasn't being done originally.

Speaking my peace @ 5:21 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |