.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, February 05, 2004

more proof

Looks like BushCo is yet again blatantly telling the American public that they can do (he can do) whatever the fuck they want to and we can go take a flying leap into hell. I'm seriously hoping that Moveon.org and/or Actforchange.org start a movement to have the investigatory committee approved as usual and have their findings released asap.

I don't think I've ever watched any one person display such complete disrespect and contempt for people they're supposed to be leading. I realize that there are a great many people in America who are apathetic and/or lazy when it comes to politics. Many people don't want their comfortable lifestyles disrupted and many don't want to take the time to even get informed. I understand this and I don't have a great deal of respect for them either.

However, there are quite a few of us who have stood up time and time again in the last year or so to oppose actions that have either been suggested or taken. How many times do we have to do this before that smirking bastard in the white house will pay attention? Probably until his unelected ass is booted out. I suppose it just feels like we're screaming at a blank wall. Every issue has to become a potential re-election crisis before our lawmakers will listen to what we have to say. We have to constantly hold the threat of not giving them their jobs back before we see any response at all.

It's exhausting and I'm not even a mover/shaker person. How can the Bush administration handle the 'rule by fear' approach ALL THE TIME? How do they do it? This is so NOT the way I want to live - having to constantly threaten people to get even some attempt at reasonable political behavior. I guess that's the crux of the entire problem. It's depressing and disheartening to feel like the only way you can get people to listen is to threaten them with some kind of 'bad' thing.

That's the way BushCo plays and they're forcing us to play their game. I feel manipulated and pressured into behavior that I can't tolerate in myself. I feel that opposing this administration is slowly turning me into a person I don't want to be. I don't want to live my life in fear and rage and hatred and that's what is happening. I have to work so hard to find anything good but everywhere I look I find evidence of more abuses of power. It seems never ending. Even though my readings of Zinn's 'History' have shown that this type of abuse of power is nothing new - even the blatancy with which BushCo operates is not unique to them - it's so difficult to maintain a positive outlook.

And that's not the person that I am. I am not a person who hates or who is angry all the time but it's difficult to come up with a different response. How can you find something positive to say when you find out yet another investigatory committee is being set up primarily as a show - not to do any real investigating or turn up any real truths?

There is communication theory that says (basically) that you'll gravitate towards information that supports your point of view. Part of what is so difficult about this is that there's plenty of evidence, whether or not I like or want to admit it, for both sides of the Bush argument. I don't agree with the arguments the other side puts forth but they can find information to back up what they say as good as we can. So what does this come down to? For me, it comes down to these questions:

Do I want to live in a country led by a person who believes the only way he can accomplish anything is by using fear and force to do so? By a person who's so afraid he'll lose everything that he'll stoop to anything? Do I want to live in a country led by an administration completely steeped in fear-based beliefs?

Speaking my peace @ 1:53 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |