.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, January 08, 2004

Healthcare

Although healthcare isn't something that's at the top of my activism list, it was recently brought to unpleasant light. My ex and I have been separated for quite a while now and part of the separation agreement was that I could remain on his insurance. This has been wonderful for me, especially through school. However, since I decided to move so far away, I thought I would check into my own health insurance and see if I wanted to finally break that last tie.

I got a very unpleasant shock. I got an initial quote from USAA, my insurance company for years and an absolutely *wonderful* company to work with. I sing their praises constantly - no sarcasm at all! They quoted me fairly reasonable coverage (the most I would have to pay in the course of an extreme medical emergency is $3000 during that year). The deductibles were a big high but not unreasonable and the covereage pretty basic (two dr visits a year with copays - additional visits to go towards the deductible). RX plan also includes a deductible but after it's met, decent med prices. However, all this at the cost of a bit over $200/month.

Right now, I'm not affording that. I'll stay on the ex's health coverage as long as he'll let me. Actually, I need to check with PSU b/c they have some health coverage, but I don't have the numbers yet. I wasn't that surprised at the number but it was the first time I really got a glimpse of how much healthcare costs. And I'm a young, healthy adult with no major medical issues. I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like for someone with kids or someone with major medical issues. I've been part of the business world and, hence, have had reasonable healthcare coverage for so long that I just didn't realize how much it costs.

I know I can't fight every battle and that I've chosen to put my focus in other areas, but I know I'll be supporting the people fighting for affordable healthcare as much as I can from now on.

Speaking my peace @ 5:26 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |