.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, January 05, 2004

Random newsy tidbits

Holy smoke! Do we need a new terror level (maybe code red/white/blue?) when the threat is coming from our own countrymen?

We've all complained about corporatespeak and nonsense language and how they've crept into our daily lives.

You can help yourself lose this annoying habit if you have someone blow a whistle each time you do it! Actually, having someone clap is just as effective and probably not as startling... I think one of the reasons people admire certain speakers is simply because they don't indulge this anoying mannerism.

It's good to read more information on conflict behaviors that's clear and direct. I like this description of conflict (from the article):

==================================================
The Essence of Conflict
Conflict arises totally from within. It happens because what is liked is clung to and what is not liked is rejected, be it a belief system, material objects, or emotional patterns. Conflict occurs when what is clung to or rejected is in opposition to what someone else is clinging to or rejecting. The magnitude of the conflict depends on how much and to what extent each person defends their position.

Conflict is all around us, on all levels. Even if you have no particular interest in pursuing global peace, and your thoughts don't extend much beyond the end of your driveway, there is still no escape from the problems of conflict. National borders aren't the only places where wars are breaking out; the conference rooms of everyday work lives are stuffed with conflict. So, rather than shy away from conflict, it is better to do something about it.

There are two directions in which to travel. You can work to reduce or change your own wants and/or work to reduce or change the wants of others. Much of what is called diplomacy is based on the latter: changing or reducing the wants of other people. Mediation is the fine art of getting both sides to reduce or change their wants.
===================================================

I found the last section interesting although I'm a bit unsure if he's stating a preference for either direction. I also believe that both of those directions contain some inherent issues and I'd like to see them redefined.

Last but not least, I found someone who I think may be of great help to me. Danah Zohar has done quite a bit of work on bringing the ideas around quantum physics into our everyday existence. It's too long for me to go into here, but her work ties into the idea of the Zero Point Field and into my ideas about energetic communication. I've ordered several of her books so I can catch up on her work.

Speaking my peace @ 6:12 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |