.

The means ARE the ends

Friday, December 05, 2003

Global Internet governance

Since my knowledge of global politics is embarrassingly small, I almost hesitate to comment on this article about the UN taking over governing the Internet. However, I will risk embarrassment and say that although I believe it would probably be more advantageous to the rest of the world to have a more balanced governing body, I don't know that the UN is the best org for that job. What about creating an international technology alliance to monitor/govern?

There are probably already lots of these types of organizations, why couldn't the UN tap into what's already in place and maybe have some UN members sit on the boards of these orgs or ask the orgs to report to the UN? I'm almost willing to place a bet that there are foundations and researchers already working on the best ways to bring technologies to developing countries and helping them take advantage of the information age. It also seems logical that there would be people already looking at the best ways to govern a more global Internet.

Speaking my peace @ 3:04 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |