.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, December 04, 2003

Mundanity

So maybe mundanity isn't a word but it describes my life the last couple of days. Not much deep thought, some good pizza and canoli today but not much otherwise. I'm getting into the 'real' packing now. The packing that includes going through all the debris of my life and deciding what to keep, what to trash, what goes with me and what stays because I can't bear to part with it just yet. I've come across lots of stuff I'd forgotten about from stuffed animals that I've had since I was four to the pictures and mementos of the last few months with my ex.

I've kept so much stuff I'm amazed at myself. Little sentimental things that really don't mean anything now - stuff I can't even remember where it's from. I kept all kinds of stuff from my childhood (I still can't bear to ditch the Van Halen memorabilia) that I have no reason to keep except I don't want to throw it away. The stuff from my marriage is totally different - most of that stuff I can't wait to get rid of. I went through all the wedding doodads and geegaws that I saved and ditched as much as possible. I only saved the veil, bouquet & and buttonaire b/c my mom made 'em and she wanted them back. kind of sad - all that time we spent together and we never really connected.

anyway, this is the tough part of packing. all the major stuff i can pack is stuffed away and now i get a constant memory lane parade...

oh yeah - one thing I'm learning is the benefit to either not buying or not keeping stuff. If you get something you don't want, give it to someone who can use it! If you don't really *need*something (or totally love it) don't get it. It's just a waste of space and contributes to the mondo piles of unwanted junk already polluting our planet.

Speaking my peace @ 12:45 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |