.

The means ARE the ends

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Drawbacks

I'm listening to John Kerry's concession speech and I feel so sad. Not just because he lost, but because I couldn't bring myself to just trust him. Living here in Portland, going to school, and learning about politics, our society and culture, world happenings, and other 'big' issues, have taken away my ability to trust politicians. Normally, I'd say this is a good thing but not right now.

Listening to Kerry, I realize that he is, simply, a good and decent man. He's a man I would not have been ashamed to have as president of this country. It's hard to say that around many of the people I know because Kerry is often viewed (by me also) as barely tolerable, with policies similar to Bush's and certainly not acceptable to a great number of extremely progressive citizens.

For me, even though I agreed that Kerry's policies weren't in line with my newly formed beliefs, I always felt that Kerry would bring an entirely different energy to the presidency. That he brought a much more positive and compassionate perspective; more thoughtful review of the issues. I felt slightly ashamed that I liked this man that so many around me viewed as barely different, let alone better, than Bush. I'm sorry that I wasn't a bit stronger in voicing my opinion of him.

He managed to maintain his dignity and ethical behavior in the face of a great number of vicious, personal attacks from the Right. He was gracious, well-spoken, thoughtful, and sensitive. He demonstrated a real and obvious love of family and seemed genuinely interested in what people wanted. I realize that many of his plans and goals are based on things I don't agree with. However, I do believe he would have made a decent president.

Speaking my peace @ 7:35 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |