.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, July 22, 2004

An opportunity

Well, I've been offered an interesting opportunity.  One of my teachers has asked me to co-author a book with him.  He's a Gandhian scholar and he's been gathering research to write about civil wars (worldwide) and how Gandhian methods might be applied to help end the conflicts.  Although I'm neither a political/historical buff nor a Gandhian scholar, I can bring in the organizational aspect and some of my own perspectives.  It should be a great experience, however it turns out.

What I find intriguing about this is that I've never considered that I would ever write for publication.  My writing style is fairly informal, definitely not of the scholarly bent.  What's so cool is that when he described the style of writing he's looking for he described the way I write.  He specifically noted that he does *not* want to write for a scholarly audience but wants to appeal to a younger audiece and include explanations of important concepts & such.  

That's exactly the way I like to write!  I'm huge believer in never assuming that your audience knows what you're talking about and, because of that, you should include explanations and examples.  Even if your audience has an idea of your topic, it's always appropriate to define exactly how you're using familiar terms.  I also love writing clearly & simply and that's what'll appeal to teenagers and young adults.

Speaking my peace @ 8:51 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |