.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, July 22, 2004

More musings on the media

I came across this story and it brings up one of the problems I've had with labeling the media biased. In communications, there's an entire theory built around the premise that we seek out information that we agree with and that we reject (stay away from) information that we don't. 

Both sides are firmly convinced that the media swings the way of the other because we're both rejecting everything we don't agree with. I know there have been studies (albeit informal I think) to 'prove' that there's more conservative news than liberal, but I just don't know...
 
I'd never refute the right of conservatives to have their own shows & talk about their side of issues, etc.  One of the major problems I have with many conservative outlets is that they are MEAN!  They promote hateful and violent speech and absolutely disrespect the views of others.  I don't suppose there's ever going to be a clear answer to the biased media question but I certainly don't believe that bullying people and treating them like shit is an acceptable way to get your points across.

Speaking my peace @ 8:30 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |