.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, June 03, 2004

doubts and questions

I was talking one of my teachers (I'll call this person Teach) yesterday about my quest to design my own program and, although I'm sure it wasn't meant this way, got an earful of 'other options' to consider such as a double master's (already considered) and another type of education degree, in addition to a master's in CR. I was talking about wanting to take the peace/nonviolence courses as my core work, instead of the CR curriculum as designed and Teach mentioned that his/her thoughts were that the CR program as designed DOES offer an excellent education in peacework.

I respect Teach a great deal, as a teacher, friend, and peaceworker, and am now feeling all sorts of doubts & such. I think I'm just disappointed because I thought Teach would be really supportive. If Teach's first response was to suggest alternative routes, could there be something wrong with what I've decided to do?

If you know me at all, you'll realize that that question was mainly rhetorical. I'm pressing ahead with my decision, it was just a bit of a shock to not get the support I'd expected from Teach. Support from others isn't exactly necessary but it sure is welcome :) There's no way I'm not doing the program I want but even I struggle with being educationally empowered sometimes!

Speaking my peace @ 6:03 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |