.

The means ARE the ends

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

some comments on suffering

I've commented before on suffering and martyrdom but just remembered a thought from a couple of days ago: Why does our society seem to place so much more value on things that are achieved via suffering than things that are achieved through joy? You may think I'm out of my mind but I'm not. For example, how often do women use their suffering during labor to accentuate what a fabulous thing they accomplished? It just seems that people who suffer, whether it's obvious suffering or 'merely' a lack of joy in their lives, are looked upon as having really accomplished something.

My point is this: I would much rather involve myself with people, organizations, whatever that don't glorify suffering. I choose to exist in an environment that celebrates the joyful aspects of life rather than elevating suffering to an art form.

btw - check out Francene Hart's artwork - talk about joyful, divinely inspired creation!

Speaking my peace @ 8:57 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |