.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, December 22, 2003

small victories?

The ruling by a federal appeals court in Washington gives some hope that not all our rights will be violated and/or removed! I, for one, am a big fan of file sharing. I probably buy more music now because I have access to a wider variety of artists. I have no problem supporting said artists, so I usually end up buying a couple of CDs. Of course, I also share CDs around with friends and I normally buy them used so perhaps the artists aren't getting as much benefit as they could.

On that thought - why aren't record companies screaming copyright infringement for people who buy and sell used CDs? I mean, it's a similar thing - someone bought one copy of the music and is now trading it around sans record company intervention. This whole thing pisses me off since I know the artists aren't the ones who are really benefitting from the sale of CDs. The record companies spew all this rhetoric to make us think they're all about the artists' intellectual property rights but all they're really about is their own massive profits.

bastards. there's got to be a better way for artists to be compensated for their work but i sure don't know what it is. There's a good article on intellectual property rights (E-text, Who Owns It?) but I can't remember the author. Since all my stuff is packed, I can't find it either. Oh well. It's oriented more towards electronic publications and such but it does touch on copyrighting art & stuff too. It has an interesting little history on how copyrighting came around and it's ALL about certain parties (not the artists) getting paid.

Speaking my peace @ 7:49 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |