.

The means ARE the ends

Sunday, December 19, 2004

When is it ever enough?

When will religious fanatics/conservatives/fundamentalists of ANY religion finally give it over and quit trying to force their beliefs on the rest of society? Probably never but I just had to ask. Even when I was involved with southern baptist churches I couldn't force myself to proselytize. With regard to insisting that the entire world celebrate Christmas as the occasion of Christ's birth, I'm just astounded that these envangelizers won't give it up!

From what I've heard, it's pretty commonly accepted that Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25. In fact, googling on "When was Jesus born?" brings up a whole slew of pages that say exactly that - here are a few:
Looks like even the "Christian" sites don't think Jesus was born on the 25th. I realize that my question is almost completely rhetorical - there is no real answer because most people who are that bought into their religious beliefs aren't willing to even have an open discussion about the issue. On an even lower note, I just came across this article that discusses Bill O'Reilly's current campaign to "save Christmas". I'm glad he's doing it - O'Reilly is just the sort of compassionate, understanding, and open individual that should be a frontman for Jesus. Or not.

Speaking my peace @ 11:04 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |