.

The means ARE the ends

Saturday, October 23, 2004

A quick hello to my inner geek

Considering my fabulousness, it's probably a big surprise to at least one person that I'm rather a geek at heart. Now, I'm not a hard-core geek but I do fit a great number of geek stereotypes, including an ongoing interest in software, usability, ID, and other sorts of technology stuff. I try to incorporate the info on the hopes that one day I'll actually be able to put it into [obvious] practice.

For example, I just read Joel's post about social usability. It's a great piece and got me thinking even more about how technology (not just computers) has radically altered the way we interact with each other. Even that statement is problematic because it assumes that the people I'm interacting with also have computers. If I start trying to interact with people who aren't familiar with, or don't have access to, this technology, will I be successful? Don't forget that only an extremely small percentage of people in the world have access to today's sophisticated technological advances. Most people are trying to make sure they have enough water, no time for worrying about hard drive space.

I know that what I'm talking about isn't a new idea. It's been around for quite a while and I'm sure there is a whole body of literature that talks about the impact technology has had on human relations/interactions. I guess it just made me realize [again] the importance of making those face-to-face contacts, of spending time with actual human beings, and de-technologizing whenever possible. Although I *love* technology and definitely enjoy any number of its benefits, my inner geek and I are both enchanted by being able to engage in live, human interaction :)

By the way, if this post piqued your curiousity about what social interface design actually is and where it might be going, you can further investigate at Joel's discussion forum on Social Interface Design or The Socialsoftware Blog.

Speaking my peace @ 1:25 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |