.

The means ARE the ends

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Questionable outcome

I just read about the gun buyback program that looks like it's going to be extended in Sadr City. In all honesty, I don't even think it sounds like a good idea. I mean, it *sounds* good but even a shallow investigation or a bit of deeper thought and it becomes to look rather sketchy. For one, could we ever buy back enough guns to make any sort of impact on the fighting? Two, we're probably paying them enough for each turn-in to go out and buy at least one, maybe two, others.

Lastly, I googled on "weapons buyback in US" and found some interesting stories, as follows:

Bush Halts HUD Gun Buyback Program - ostensibly because it wasn't working.
Gun Buyback Works - an Australian effort at home is successful
185 Guns Collected
Australia's Answer to Carnage: A Strict Law
Gun buyback program a shooting success!

Although it does look like several of these were considered successes, I have to wonder if this kind of program will actually work in a war zone that is fueled by hatred of the invader and religious fanaticism.

Speaking my peace @ 7:22 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |