.

The means ARE the ends

Monday, October 18, 2004

The picture is bleak

The world today seems riddled with corruption, abuse, and violence. Although activists encourage us to celebrate every victory, those victories seem small in comparison to the problems. All those positive platitudes don't seem terribly effective. The more I learn, the more difficult and complex solution-finding becomes and, at times, even that process seems corrupt.

Intellectually, I know that this is a phase in human history, no better or worse than others - except for the looming threat of extinction. I realize that sounds fucked up but I'm talking mainly about the way people treat each other, not the slickster technology we have waiting in the wings to usher in the end. There has been an immense amount of human misery, death, and ongoing suffering in the last century with, it seems, little human progress to offset it.

There's part of me that can almost conceptualize a 'better' world but the louder voice calls the quieter voice a ridiculous idealist who couldn't peel a banana. The down moments feel really down lately.

Speaking my peace @ 9:56 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |