.

The means ARE the ends

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Emotional and mental overload

I have to say, once again, that I'm so grateful that I don't have as much stress and/or drama in my life as many other people. Adding all this election pressure on top of that and we have a recipe for disaster. With regard to the emotional environment of our country, I'd love to know the following:

What has happened to the overall physical health of our country in the last four years? By this, I mean what do the statistics show about the increase or decrease of stress-related illness/disease/death since 9/11 and Bush's response to it?

What has happened to the overall mental health of our country in the last four years? Again, I'm wondering what stats would show about the rise/fall of a of mental conditions such as depression and anxiety since the wars began. People can only run off fear-induced adrenaline for so long before their bodies begin to exhibit signs of illness and disease and the American people have been constantly subjected to incredible amounts of fear-based messaging for the last three years.

The reason I'm commenting on all this is simply that I feel tired, uneasy, off-balance, and slightly irritable quite often. These are no longer normal states of being for me and I'm finding them quite uncomfortable and difficult to move out of. I think it's from the enormous amount of pressure, attention, and anxiety surrounding this election - not just in America but throughout the world.

Many of us who are aware of the larger picture and of our place as a global citizen feel (perhaps literally) the weight of the world bearing down on us. It's hard to remember that the world will go on, even if Bush does get elected this time. It feels as if hope is on the line; the fate of the world rests on this election. Intellectually, I know that isn't true but it sure does feel like it!

Bottom line? Three more days until Nov 2. At least the campaigning will be over.

Speaking my peace @ 8:52 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |