.

The means ARE the ends

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Travel antics

I don't travel that much at this point in my life. I figure I did most of my moving around when I was a kid and then, later, when I was with my ex. I moved every 2 to 3 years except for the few years after my ex and I bought our second house. My travel recently has been literally between NC and OR but nothing more exotic than that. So I am somewhat surprised that I actually have some rather funny (if lame) travel stories from this most recent trip.

So the lameness begins with me taking the train to Seattle and ending up hanging in Sea-Tac for about four hours. The waiting wasn't the lame part, however, the lame part is that I was actually 24 hours late for my flight. Yep - you read that right, 24 hours late. I was supposed to fly out on Wed, Aug 4 at 12 a.m. Yes, you guessed it, I actually showed up on Thur, Aug 5 at 12 a.m. Luckily, the ATA attendant told me this happens all the time so she put me on standby and I got on the flight.

Well, as payback for me missing my flight, the airline tagged me for a secondary security check. I was frisked with a metal-detecto wand, arms out and legs spread wide. I realize that sounds incredibly, unbelieveably sexy but it wasn't. Trust me on that.

The lameness doesn't end there as I was sitting in the middle seat next to a very nice man who snored the entire flight (it was a redeye) and an anti-social blanket freak who had an airplane blankie snugged up under his chin before the plane even moved away from the loading area.

On the way back, things were much smoother although, you guessed it, I was again flagged for a secondary security check. Am I being profiled? Has my biological heritage drawn that much attention? Does the ATA security team read this blog and think I'm terrorist material?

No idea, but hopefully no one will come at me waving any metal implements anytime soon.

Speaking my peace @ 10:44 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |