.

The means ARE the ends

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Is it a big deal or is it just me?

I'm sitting here watching *really* old reruns of the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire and noticing how extremely white most of the family members are. It made me think about the standard that was used (and may still be used) to determine whether or not a black person could be on TV - a paperbag. If you are the same shade as a paperbag or lighter, you may be considered. I'm sure this wasn't an across the board measure and I'm also aware it may simply be an urban myth. However, lots of the blacks I've seen on TV (especially shows from the 80s and 90s) seem to meet that standard.

I've also seen shows about Britney and Christina - two young women who, in their own ways, make strong statements about female sexuality and raise questions about what our society considers acceptable/unacceptable public behavior for women. Although I do believe that they encourage a variety of negative female stereotypes, I appreciate their willingness to challenge societal norms. Obviously, I have no idea if they're going to do anything more than buck the dress code, but it's a start.

What these kinds of shows bring to light for me is all the social issues I've become aware of. It's weird - even if I want to enjoy some brainfluff piece of media, I can't. I can't un-know what I know to be true. If people were equal, would it be so funny to see women cut each other down? If people were equal, would it be entertainment to watch young black men shoot each other? Would it still be reassuring to have a (usually white) male come running in to save everyone - including the heretofore capable female - from disaster and punish the bad guys?

Does it even matter that I think these things are reinforcing damaging sterotypes? Does anyone care about this stuff but me and a few other looney tunes on the fringes? Should we be considered looney tunes because we care? I don't fucking know. I know that women were considered militant, anti-male, and 'not feminine' simply because they wanted to be themselves and not be the stereotypical 1950s housewife. I know that blacks were harrassed, hurt, and killed simply because they wanted the right to vote and to enter the front doors of business establishments.

Is it because people are tired of hearing about it - tired of hearing about discrimination and oppression? Maybe they think their lives are absolutely fine, that they aren't discriminated against and that society, as a whole, is in a great place. Who am I to challenge their beliefs about their lives? If people don't want to be helped - if they don't see something as a problem, is it really my responsibility to make it a problem? I have no fucking idea.

Maybe all this stuff is just residue from the courses I've taken and books I've read. Un-educate me - someone help me get un-educated. Maybe, if I'd just listened to the advice of those 1950s women's mags, I wouldn't be in this quandary now. Maybe, if I had stayed home and had babies, my life would be too full of childcare and husbandcare to the have time, or desire, to think about whether or not my personal needs were met. Would it be helpful for me to stop paying attention, start wearing cute clothes/makeup, and try to attract a rich guy? Would that ease my moral dilemma? I don't fucking know.

Speaking my peace @ 2:22 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |