.

The means ARE the ends

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

tidbittles

An interview with Joe Trippi - Dean's former campaign manager. Just more affirmation that citizens CAN make a difference!

This is an interesting discussion. I'm a big advocate of campaign finance reform but I'm also a big fan of getting Bush's ass out of office. Problem is, this kind of "shadow party" stuff can go both ways...

I'm glad to hear about this. It'll make it easier for those of us out of the know to get more information on minority media leaders.

LOLOLOLOL!!! Who would have thunk it? Go Howard!!!

So, once again we have to look to the American people to determine what's true and what isn't. Scary, if you look at their track record for the last two years. We can't trust the voting public, the media, or the politicians. So, who's left?

More proof that Bush knows how to surround himself with top notch asswipes.

Not unexpectedly, falsehoods abound in the burgeoning presidential race. However, here's a snippet from the report from the CEA:
====================================
CEA: Outsourcing of professional services is a prominent example of a new type of trade. The gains from trade that take place over the Internet or telephone lines are no different than the gains from trade in physical goods transported by ship or plane.When a good or service is produced at lower cost in another country, it makes sense to import it rather than to produce it domestically. This allows the United States to devote its resources to more productive purposes.
====================================
My question is - what more productive purposes? We've got more fucking people out of work with NO JOBS IN SIGHT! Those 'productive purposes' have all been either shut down or have moved oversees. What EXACTLY is moving MORE jobs oversees going to allow us to turn to? The statement is that any freshman level economics textbook would say the same thing but it just doesn't ring true for me. Wait - it IS true if the only thing you're concerned about is the bottom line! Stupid me, I was thinking of the people living in this country...

This is a great campaign - support it! It may not be the final answer but it could work until we find a better solution.

Portland is part of the AirAmerica radio family! Come on Al Franken - give us something to believe in!

Power to the people! Journalists should take a hint from this and jump on the bandwagon. I know there are a *lot* of good writers out there who have no interest in writing or working for large corporate media. This is their opportunity to share their perspectives & opinions and I'm all for it. Hell, it isn't like the information the news media is giving us is either accurate or indispensable anyway... I think there is a great deal of 'exaggerated sense of self importance' going around.

Exactly what I was just saying. Even though many people gobble up the fluff stories, there are masses of us who want real stories & real news. I don't have a problem reading someone's blog or an indy website instead of hitting the conglomorate sites. I think it's pretty fucking funny that they're suddenly waking up and realizing "hey - people do have a choice other than us after all!"

An excellent overview of trends in media/journalism today. It seems that, as with many other areas, journalism may need to take a sharp look at itself and do some redefining.

Who's surprised by this article? I mean, media only follows its big dog (read: political) leaders...

I remember blogging about this quite a while ago. I was disappointed, but not surprised that the US didn't participate. I guess, as far as America is concerned, we don't need to. I mean, we pretty much hold all the cards with regard to technology, right?

The previous entry led to me finding the Association for Progressive Communication.

Speaking my peace @ 8:39 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |