.

The means ARE the ends

Saturday, February 28, 2004

tidbittles

I'd like to see copyright reform activism get more media attention.

The White House led stampede to pass the "no WMD" buck has begun. I believe I've maintained all along that the media is as big a culprit as Bushco but, how surprising, the media wants to ignore their part in that whole farce.

What the fuck? The question is becoming more HOW to enforce our preferences rather than how to get us to speak up!

Now I'm all sad..Yahoo & Google are two of my faves.

I don't know about you, but I'm sick to death of the whole "who's buying Disney?" question.

Sad to see, but America's not the only country with media interests heavily influenced by politicians. The one good thing I can say about America is that we do have *many* outlets even though lots of them are smaller and don't reach as many people. So what happens when the big guys start swallowing each other?

Wow - great article! I wonder if it will have an impact?

Stories like this kind of bother me. If the music industry nags enough national governments, will they start enacting legislation?

Okay, this makes me a bit nervous. It is becoming more and more clear to me that our country is becoming a democracy in name only.

Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see where this goes. Here's a follow up from about a week later. I've listened to Howard Stern and, although I do believe he's an intelligent guy, I don't always like the content of his show. However, if this is truly a 'free speech society' (ha ha), then you take the good with the bad. Who's determining what's decent & indecent? Why are they allowed to do this for everyone? More unanswerable questions - old, tired, worn out unanswerable questions.

How long will it be before out government tries to do this? Here's a short excerpt:

"...Online news editors were reportedly told that they could run only news already vetted in major state-controlled newspapers above the provincial level. Nor are postings by ordinary Internet users permitted without prior approval..."

Right. Because it's too easy to stop shoving that Twinkie in your mouth or letting your child eat nothing but Dorito's. I realize that the media is a big influence on people who watch it a lot so maybe people could start limiting their media intake along with their food intake?

Speaking my peace @ 9:15 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |