.

The means ARE the ends

Friday, February 27, 2004

Projects

For those of you who know me, you won't be surprised to learn that I've already picked up a couple of projects! I volunteered to help my dept at school with two projects: Update their website and work on adding functionality to the departmental db. I do have a small amt of geekish blood so these projects appeal not only to the tech writer but to the techie techie. Yay! So that's one set of projects.

The other set of projects is similar but with another organization. I'm volunteering some time with Oregon Peace Works and am doing essentially the same thing. Their database, however, is a FileMaker db - a totally unknown quantity to me! I started dorking around with it a bit before I moved but it's a totally different look/feel than either Access or SQL. I think it's a relational db but it doesn't use tables to store data, you have to store everything in different dbs and then link the dbs. Seems cumbersome and tricky to me but apparently LOTS of people like it and it has a pretty good support community.

I'm about all moved in and really only need to move the stuff I'm not using into my storage area in the basement. Problem is, I don't have a storage area yet. One of the other people here is supposedly moving out this weekend so I may actually see my apt without lots of boxes & stuff! I also found a *super* gym today - it's called the Cascade Athletic Club and it's completely fantastic! It's only a few dollars more a month than my old gym & it's got tons more stuff! There's a hot and dry sauna, a jacuzzi, a pool, and many many classes (including salsa dancing). The service is outstanding and I'm really looking forward to training there.

Speaking my peace @ 7:29 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |