.

The means ARE the ends

Friday, January 16, 2004

the future?

Cheney just visited Portland to raise money (I think) and was met by protesters and not a lot of love. I mention this because the protestors were forced into a Free Speech Zone that was surrounded by a chain link fence and barbed wire. Ummm...I thought all of America was supposed to be a Free Speech Zone. What the fuck? Because a politician decides to visit a town, does that mean the entire town becomes a No Free Speech Except in Designated Areas Zone?

If so, they need to publish the rules they're using to determine exactly how big the NFSEDAZ area is. Is it a certain mile radius out from the Important Person? Or is it a radius out from where said IP is staying? What are they doing about all the other people in the NFSEDAZ area? How are they patrolling their speech? And how are they determining who is and isn't taking advantage of their so-called free speech? Do they have free speech zones for people who agree with the IP? They obviously have Free Speech pens for those who don't.

This makes my head hurt. It's illogical and it's frightening in its blatant disregard, nay disdain, for our civil rights. But what do we do? I'm not one with answers. I've never been part of a demonstration and it scares me to think about getting beaten up by the police. Jail doesn't frighten me as much as maybe getting bones broken, face smashed, or teeth busted out. And I wouldn't put it past the police these days. Apparently, non-violent protesters are considered fair game for them to practice their fighting skills on.

I try to take comfort in this quote from Dr. King:

"So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

But it's hard. I've been getting more involved in causes I believe in and that's one of the reasons I'm moving. PDX has more to offer by way of activism and organized protest/resistance but I'm still afraid. I agree with Dr. King that beating someone up doesn't accomplish anything except hurting both parties. But they don't believe that. If they believe it, they sure don't act like it. So much negative energy just feeding itself and intensifying. Can I really make a difference? Is it conceit to think that maybe I could? I don't know but I know that being afraid (before I'm even there) makes me feel bad. I don't accept feeling afraid as an acceptable response so something else is called for. I guess I'll figure it out as I go along...

Speaking my peace @ 4:11 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |