.

The means ARE the ends

Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Nearing completion...

Okay, my application for graduate school is nearing completion! I'm picking up my final letter of recommendation today and have only to finish my personal statement and write the check for dropping everything in an overnight package and sending it on it's way YAYAYAY!!!

I made a first attempt at my personal statement last night and, although it would probably have been good enough, it just wasn't me. At least, that's what jneal told me and, upon further reflection, I realized jneal was correct. She made a couple of suggestions, one of which I immediately glommed onto and I'm now working on a completely new and different piece of writing. I feel that it's much better - gives a much better idea of who I am and why CR is important to me.

Communications (as a field) didn't seem applicable enough. Even though I'm a communications major and enjoyed learning about the field it still seems fairly general - there was no one aspect or area that spoke strongly to me. Conflict resolution seems to be a specific application of the communications field. One of the things I like about CR is that it involves not only communication techniques but it brings in elements of psychology, activism, nonviolence, and other social issues that I'm interested in.

Even as I read this, I know that people in the communications field could come up with a counter argument for everything I've said. I agree - my reasons aren't terribly well stated or reasoned out. Although there is a tremendous amount of value in the field of communications, I feel my skills are best suited for the work I've chosen. Conflict resolution allows me to give back, to offer my gifts in service to not only myself but to others and that truly appeals to me.

Gotta follow the heart on this one and the heart is pretty clear...

Speaking my peace @ 6:30 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |