.

The means ARE the ends

Saturday, November 22, 2003

NOW is the time

I was listening to The Crystal Method and jamming out to their song "Now is the Time" when the realization hit me - NOW really IS the time. All times are now, we just don't get it. We break time up into all kinds of pieces and chunks. When someone asks me what time it is, I tell them it's 3:30 or 9:15 or whatever. What I should be telling them is "now". The time is now - nothing else exists but this moment, this instant.

I know - most people don't really think about time but I do. I think about the fact that it's just made up. A bunch of guys in a room somewhere said "hey - how can we track how far something moves through space" and that started it. Because that's all it is really, a measure of how far something moves through a certain area of space. Time tells us how long it takes to get from point A to point B. So when they talk aobut Planet Nebula being 40 million light years away, keep in mind that those light year measurements are only relevant to us, here on this planet while it circles the sun at exactly the distance it is now. Change any of those factors and a light year is diddly squat as a measure.

Speaking my peace @ 9:12 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |