.

The means ARE the ends

Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Here are some tips on listening I've found to be extremely effective. Problem is, I don't usually realize I'm doing it until afterwards LOL:

8 Wrong Ways to Listen

1. Editing: Hearing only what you want to hear
2. Rehearsing: Thinking about what you want to say while the other person is talking.
3. Delving: Focusing on finding hidden messages, rather than listening to what the other person is saying.
4. Daydreaming: Letting your mind wander.
5. Personalizing: Relating everything the person is saying to your own life and allowing your thoughts to wander.
6. Switching: Changing the subject as soon as the other person stops speaking.
7. Arguing: Focusing on finding something to judge or ridicule.
8. Agreeing: Nodding your head to everything to avoid conflict.

It's funny how any one (or more) of these bad habits can creep up at any time. True, we can't all be good listeners *all* the time but I try to make the effort especially if the person who's speaking is obviously speaking about something that is important to them. I've especially caught myself in the midst of 2 and 3 (it's just the latent psychologist in me)...

Speaking my peace @ 8:10 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |