.

The means ARE the ends

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Watching the veeps

I'm watching the veep debates and am finding it quite interesting and entertaining. They're much more ferocious and growly at each other than the prez candidates were - actually addressing "you're lying" sorts of remarks at each other. I'm liking this almost more than the prez debates mainly because they're being much more forthwright and up front.

I have to say that Cheney is speaking articulately even though I disagree with him on most of the content of his speeches. They just addressed the question of the gay marriage amendment and Edwards gave a wonderful, thoughtful, and highly articulate response - referring to Cheney's family and his admiration for their support of their daughter. Cheney's only response was to thank Edwards for his remarks. Cheney's previous statement about this issue leads me to believe that perhaps he & Bush disagree on this policy.

After that exchange, it seems that some of the heat has gone out of the discussion. There is still finger-pointing and accusation, but the feeling of intense personal dislike seem to have lifted. Somehow, Edwards' acknowledging Cheney, his family, and their struggle seems to have formed some sort of slight bond - maybe between two fathers with daughters they love - who knows?

Now, the question about Edwards' qualifications: Edwards was direct and honest about his political newness but he was also sincere and (I think) convincing. Cheney did bring up an important point - that a veep should be someone the people can trust to take over if necessary. However, Cheney's "I think Bush would be a better commander-in-chief, he's done it for the last 4 years" was a bit much.

What I'm finding quite interesting at this moment is that Cheney actually appears human for the first time. They're talking about their qualifications for the office and, for the first time, Cheney mentioned some of his personal history. He looks thoughtful and does not appear aggressive, not sure if this is just a poser in top form or if he's really displaying a tiny piece of humanity. Edwards, unfortunately, goofed twice and used John Kerry's name when he wasn't supposed to.

At the end of the debate, I have to say that I don't see a clear cut winner. I think both men made their message/points pretty clearly and they both stayed on message pretty tightly. I don't think either distinguished himself content-wise although I do think that Edwards is much more personable, sincere, and believable.

Speaking my peace @ 6:57 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |