.

The means ARE the ends

Sunday, October 10, 2004

A note on dehumanizing

This post was prompted by further reflection on Edwards' treatment of Cheney in last night's debates. Specifically, I heard people today saying that Edwards made a huge political mistake by not going in for the kill on the gay marriage issue; that he should have nailed Cheney to the wall. While I don't know whether or not he made a political error, I'll say that I'd rather have someone who can view an opponent as human than as a potential political target any day.

We have to begin transforming the way we think about people. We have to begin looking for our commonalities, not using our differences to make each other less than human. Yes, I believe Cheney has done some terrible, unethical, and destructive things. Yes, I think that people should know that he has horribly abused his position and his power. But I applaud Edwards in his successful attempt to find some connection with Cheney instead of making him seem even more inhuman.

Although it may seem, within our current paradigm, that Edwards was weak and indecisive, I believe that what he did took more strength and courage than many other politicians posses. He looked beyond his personal need for power and saw into the heart of a father who is struggling with an issue that affects him personally and deeply. The heart-based ability to make those connections and recognize that humanity is what sets our future leaders apart from today's fear-based leaders.

If we truly want what we say, a nation not ruled by the culture of fear, we need to recognize and support those public attempts to change the ways we relate to each other - no matter how uncomfortable they may make us initially. John Edwards, if you didn't have my respect before, you have it now.

Speaking my peace @ 9:38 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |