.

The means ARE the ends

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Peace Educator curriculum

Hey all - here's what I've put together as my curriculum. I had to create my own packet of courses b/c there's not anything like this at my school - nothing that specifically addresses Peace Education. My program director was absolutely cool & supportive - probably because I added another year (or so) onto my program. It's remotely possible I'll end up with two masters but I'm not ready to make that committment yet (if ever).

Required Courses
================
Philosophy of CR
Advanced Mediation
Adult Learning
Negotiation and Mediation
Introduction to Peace Studies
Nonviolence
Anthropology of Violence
Cultural Pluralism & Urban Education
Action Research
Restorative Justice
The Urban School & "At Risk" Status
Social Foundations of Education
Community and CR in Educational Organizations
Practicum
Thesis/Project Prep Seminar
Thesis Project

Electives
==========
Peacekeeping/Making/Bldg
Language of Violence
Mentoring in Higher Education
Power & the Sacred
CR Systems
Gandhi/Nonviolence
Grant Writing
War & Peace in the Media
Nonviolence & Public Policy
Nonviolence in America
Peace History

This looks a *lot* scarier than it is. Some of those classes are weekend seminars, some I may just audit, and I have leeway with some of the 'required' courses. There are some that are required by the dept, some that I've determined are important enough for me to consider required. That said, it's going to be a LOT of work - but I'm already loving it!

Oh yeah - I've already taken some of the stuff in the Electives list - it's stuff I'm taking this term and a couple of summer classes. What I take is also *terribly* dependent on what's offered and what I can afford...

Speaking my peace @ 10:06 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |