.

The means ARE the ends

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Insurance for whom?

It just occurred to me that insurance companies (at least in North Carolina) have pretty much got a free ride - given to them by state gov't. I can't think of anything else you're required, by law, to pay for that doesn't have an immediate benefit. I could understand if the law required that you carry insurance to pay for someone else's car in case of an accident, but a LAW that requires that you carry insurance on your own car?? What if you don't care?

It should be my choice whether I want to insure my car of not. Of course, if there's a lienholder, the lienholder could require that I carry insurance - and they do. That's understandable because it's their property, not yours, and your paying the insurance is one of the costs of them lending you the money. However, why should state law REQUIRE that I carry any sort of insurance on a car after it's paid for? Why should there be legal repercussions if I decide not to carry insurance?

Yet another instance of how politics and big business are absolutely in bed with each other all the time. Who benefits from the state requiring insurance all the time? The insurance companies. Not me, not you. I'm not advocating for carrying or not carrying insurance. What I'm pissed about is that I'm required to carry insurance, even if I have an old clunker that isn't even worth what I PAY for insurance.

Another fucking ripoff.

Speaking my peace @ 10:23 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |