.

The means ARE the ends

Friday, December 12, 2003

Getting their own back

Although I can't say I'm particularly happy the US has been pretty much excluded from the UN meetings on the Internet so far, I have to say that we probably deserve it. American interests have so often acted like a bunch of arrogant pricks I guess it's time they get a taste of their own medicine.

It's funny, I consider the Internet almost as vital a phone now and certainly much more important than a tv but I have almost no idea who runs what and who's responsible for making sure everything works. On a really high level, I sort of know what happens but I'm totally clueless about the politics and power plays involved. I'm guessing this stuff will be made more apparent in the coming months/years as the UN (or its appointees) decide who's going to run what.

I guess I never really thought about who runs the Internet. American minds devised it and American knowledge & technology have been the driving force (so far) behind it's fantastic success. Obviously, I realize that other countries have been involved but it seems that America has been the main player so far. Because I have no idea how American interests have treated the other countries, it would be hard for me to justify feeling angry over the treatment of the Americans at the meetings. However, I find that I do feel a bit miffed...

Speaking my peace @ 8:02 PM [link this]

Thoughts? |