.

The means ARE the ends

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Technical Communication - Fantasy or Reality?

I say my background as a TW has been unconventional because I haven't done many of the things 'normal' tech writers do: software manuals, help files, technical/functional specs, RFPs, etc. Most of the work I've done has centered around designing, fine tuning and modifying existing materials, delivering some training, and working with departments that had little or no documentation or procedure. I've enjoyed it immensely but it seems to have set me apart from many others in my field.

I don't use the same tools they do and I haven't encountered the same problems with technology they have. But I feel that as a technical 'communicator' I've benefitted much more than the traditional technical writer. I speak extremely well and have no problems at all either giving a prepared speech or flying by the pants seat, I have a great deal of confidence in my ability to communicate either verbally or in writing. These may seem like 'soft' skills for a TW but they're vital to a TC. Actually, they should be considered vital to any TW also - the ability to communicate often confusing or ambiguous information is part of the job...


(this was originally a separate post but I'm combining the two)


As a technical communicator vs a straight technical writer, what is my focus? Personally, I like to focus on process. I'm a pretty solid writer but my background in technical communication has been unconventional. I started out working the phone at a software reseller and added some minor documentation and training duties during the time I was there. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I started my career at that moment.

Next, I went to a small private company to work as a trainer. I ended up working as a computer instructor, a lifeskills coach, and an instructional designer. I enjoyed all three areas immensely and believe the skills I learned there have stood me in *great* stead these last few years. I also learned a bit about putting together a presentation to gain business and then presenting the information. I did this a couple of times and both were successful (I think). Of course, the woman I was working for completely flaked out after I left so all the work I did pretty much came to nothing. That was difficult - knowing I had done something to help and then having her drop the ball like she did.

I went to a large insurance company next and gained a great deal of more technical skill. I worked on the helpdesk so I learned basic troubleshooting for pcs, basic information about networks & operating systems, some stuff about remote connectivity and working with a mainframe, some programming and development and good, general information about how the technology industry works. It was great but the company itself was a sinking ship - thank god this rat jumped off!

I next went to a *very* well known software company where I learned about documentation processes. They had a good tool that seemed to (for the most part) outline the doc process fairly well. I'm sure it didn't cover everything but it demonstrated how even a semi-decent tool, properly thought out can be of real assistance in any business process. However, I'm now back at that same company and they changed tools. I'm now seeing how an improperly designed tool can be a bigger hindrance to business process than you would ever believe!!! Seriously - it would almost be better to do the stuff in Word and pass it around.

In between, I worked as trainer/instructional designer for a bit at a small company from hell. At least, it seemed like they were from hell after I'd been there a couple of months. I think the company started out strong but the board brought in an outside CEO and PlasticMan (my nickname that caught on) was a real dick. Yeah - I learned a great deal while I was there - about writing, instructional design, delivering training, and bullshit political manuevering. Damn I'm glad I got 'laid off'.

Spent the next year and a half in school, getting a degree in communications, minor in tech writing. Sad to say, I knew as much or more as my tech writing instructors. They were nice but either had too little 'work' experience or were smoking crack just before class and couldn't teach for shit. Anyway, I'm now back in the working world and am continuing on the journey in the world of technical communication.

One of the projects I did while in school was a technical communication website (link coming soon). As you would expect, it's pretty dry but there are a lot of good academic resources there. There are also a *lot* of links to online tech resources - some of which I even occasionally use! I have found that I enjoy conversations around the theory and rhetoric of technical communication. I am by no means a scholar, or even that well versed, I just like to run my mouth and express my opinion :)

I consider myself a good, solid writer but nothing exceptional. I feel my strength lies in my ability to ask the right questions, to get to the *real* problem and start to find some creative solutions. I find it interesting that many people feel they can't (or won't) address the heart of the problem but are willing to do anything to fix the resulting smaller problems. I guess that's the same in every aspect of life - treat the symptoms but ignore the disease. To be fair, often it seems impossible to treat the disease - especially when it involves an entire organization or a large number of people. Still, it seems there should be some way...

Speaking my peace @ 8:10 AM [link this]

Thoughts? |